In the modern era, data analysis plays a crucial role in the expansion of businesses. Every organization invests a lot of time, money, and resources to gather data from various sources and consolidate them for meaningful analysis.
Having up-to-date records is an effective way to identify leads and study the behavior of your target audience. You can use the datasets to analyze the latest trends, create predictive models, and align long-term strategic goals for your business.
Data enrichment is a key step in the collection and analysis of business data. Through this process, you can get access to large amounts of relevant and verifiable data from different sources. Acquiring records may have been a tedious process back in the day. But today, with the advent of data enrichment tools, your task is simplified and much quicker.
This article will take you through some of the best data enrichment tools and how you can make the most out of them.
What are Data Enrichment Tools?
Data enrichment tools are specialized software applications designed to automate the process of discovering, validating, and merging third-party data with existing databases. These tools play a vital role in strengthening the information available about leads, prospects, and consumer behavior patterns. They give you deeper insights to comprehensively understand every aspect of the data. You can achieve set targets for different stakeholder groups through proper analysis and business reporting.
Data enrichment covers various types of data that include demographic, professional, and behavioral data. Demographic data encompasses details such as age, gender, income, location, country, and pin codes. Professional data involves information about companies, such as business size, industry position, funding history, target segments, and more. Behavioral data mainly focuses on understanding the needs, desires, and demand patterns of both individuals and businesses.
Key Benefits of Data Enrichment Tools
Data enrichment tools contrast with the manual and time-consuming traditional methods of collecting prospect data through multiple sources. It can include Google and LinkedIn searches, tracking every visitor’s journey on your website, or data generated within your internal departments. In today’s business landscape, you require instant access to relevant data without spending extensive time on research. Data enrichment tools are an efficient solution to addressing this need. Let’s look at some of the key benefits they offer:
- Personalized Outreach: Data enrichment tools provide context on prospects, allowing you to create personalized outreach strategies. It increases the likelihood of engaging positively with individuals through accurate data insights and makes them loyal customers.
- Improved Sales: These tools contribute to effective and targeted sales efforts, increasing the volume of your sales. It not only brings in revenue but also helps you boost your sales target and other important business metrics like ROI and customer conversion rate.
- Enhanced Customer Data: Data enrichment tools append and expand the information collected from customers and other businesses. They can provide you with deeper details and insights into the differences in demand, purchase, and consumption patterns of customers across several locations, age groups, and income classes.
- Integration With Data Warehouses: To conduct robust data analysis, you can migrate the datasets obtained from data enrichment tools into cloud data warehouses. Using the built-in queries and features of your data warehouse, you can combine and analyze datasets for holistic understanding.
Six Best Data Enrichment Tools
With the demand rising for accurate B2B data, the data enrichment market offers diverse tools. Choosing the right solution is crucial as the platform will unlock customer databases, which is essential for expanding your business. Take a look at the six best data enrichment tools that can help you achieve your goals.
Airbyte is one of the leading data integration and replication platforms. However, it also functions as a data enrichment tool by allowing you to extract and load data from multiple sources.
Using the 350+ pre-built connectors on the platform, you can set up a data pipeline in just a few minutes without writing a single line of code. You can move the vast datasets obtained from different sources into a cloud data warehouse. To continuously enrich your data, you can use the CDC capabilities of Airbyte. It helps you keep your data updated by regularly obtaining fresh data from the source. Once the migration is done, you can automate the process of analyzing the data through the extensive features offered by data warehouses.
Even if you have local datasets across different locations that need to be standardized and structured, you can migrate the data through a single data pipeline on Airbyte. The time taken for manual transformation will be saved, allowing you more time for processing and in-depth analysis. If you do not find a source or destination of your choice, you can build data pipelines through custom connectors. Airbyte’s Connector Development Kit is a comprehensive guide that will help you establish a desired data pipeline in a short span of time.
Cognism is one of the top data enrichment tools that support your organization with valuable insights into prospective customer behavior. You can get access to fresh records and accelerate workflows to drive revenue with enhanced data-driven strategies.
- Cognism’s Diamond Data: Cognism offers you human-verified data assets, ensuring complete reliability and accuracy in the contact details of potential customers. The mobile numbers in the Diamond Data are authentic and extensively cover regions across North America and Europe.
- Chrome Extension: This data enrichment tool has a Google Chrome extension that helps you tap into GDPR-compliant databases while browsing corporate websites or LinkedIn. You can make use of this database to gain access to extensive information on companies and individuals, and create specialized visualizations for each group.
- Intent Data Signals: Intent data provides clues on the purchasing behavior of your target audience. Cognism leverages consent-based intent data from B2B companies like Bombora to equip your team with sales trigger events. These events indicate when a prospect is ready to engage and make a purchase with your organization.
Pricing: Cognism does not believe in a one-size-fits-all plan. Instead, this data enrichment tool has personalized pricing solutions for each business.
Clearbit is one of the best data enrichment tools, offering comprehensive solutions for marketing and business development applications. The platform empowers you to conduct customer profile analysis by giving you access to detailed contact information and insights on lead generation and conversion.
- B2B Marketing Intelligence: Clearbit provides you with over 100 B2B marketing intelligence attributes. These are significant insights on your leads, which cover detailed demographic and professional information on companies and private individuals.
- Advanced Filtering: This data enrichment tool offers advanced, easy-to-toggle filtering options, enabling you to segment companies and private individuals based on various criteria. Thus, you can generate business intelligence reports and tailor strategies for different groups with ease.
- CRM Integration: Clearbit is well integrated with major Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platforms, including Salesforce, HubSpot, Marketo, and more. Hence, you can migrate or update your datasets in these tools easily to maintain consistency during analysis. Clearbit also has an automatic data refresh feature where your list of prospect records is automatically updated every 30 days to ensure data accuracy for you.
Pricing: Clearbit has customizable and flexible pricing to suit your business needs. If you are looking to get a tailor-made plan for your organization, get in touch with their sales team.
LeadGenius is a cloud-based data enrichment tool that caters to the B2B marketing of small and medium business enterprises. The features and capabilities of this platform are designed to enrich your business account with relevant and up-to-date data. You can disseminate valuable and relevant data to different departments in a timely manner to meet your specific business needs.
- Custom Data Points: LeadGenius empowers your business through custom data points, including buyer personas and verified leads. You can enhance your datasets with personal, international, and vertical data to target specific customer groups.
- Contact and Account Monitoring: The platform offers robust contact and account monitoring features, such as tracking signals, events, and triggers for social behavior, pricing updates, press releases, and more. You can also receive alerts when your target accounts engage with competitor brands online, providing valuable insights on purchase intents.
- Real-time Dynamic Database: LeadGenius maintains a real-time database so that you can access and analyze the latest data. This dynamic approach contrasts with other tools that rely on historical and pre-built data from common sources, enhancing the effectiveness of your data-driven strategies.
Pricing: This on-demand data enrichment tool offers personalized pricing plans that depend on the coverage, quality, and precision of your desired customer data.
ZoomInfo is one of the best B2B data enrichment tools. It offers you a suite of features for demand generation, competitor solutions, and sales engagement, identifying extensive data points to facilitate direct and targeted communication.
- Bidstream Data: Bidstream data is data that is sent with a bid request from your brand to a website or app. ZoomInfo collects intent signals through third-party bidstream data to support prospect research, enhancing your outreach.
- Data Trustworthiness: This data enrichment platform prioritizes data accuracy through GDPR-compliant data. ZoomInfo employs a community-based system to verify mobile numbers, enhancing the reliability of its contact databases.
- Link with CRM Accounts: You can link your ZoomInfo account with CRM systems and other sales tools to expand your databases with additional information, such as job titles, location, company revenue, department size, and more.
Pricing: ZoomInfo offers three packages for separate departments and functionalities: SalesOS, MarketingOS, and TalentOS. You also have the choice between three support packages, which are Standard, Preferred, and Premium plans. For the exact pricing, you must get in touch with ZoomInfo’s team.
FullContact is a privacy-safe Identity Resolution SaaS platform that provides you with strong data enrichment features. This versatile tool is adept at bringing forth personal identifiers for driving meaningful customer journeys and centralizing information on marketing contacts.
- Identify Graph Feature: FullContact’s real-time Identify Graph feature connects various data points across the web, giving you access to authentic information for social media profiles and email addresses. You can even query hundreds of identity and marketing attributes for precise identification of individuals from vast datasets.
- Business Card Scanner: This data enrichment tool offers a unique feature where you can scan business cards with the FullContact app and create profiles to source contact details for individuals. The feature streamlines the process of gathering information from offline sources.
- API Usage: The FullContact Platform allows you to track your usage and generate API keys and customer recognition tags. The APIs offer you the flexibility to make concurrent queries (up to 100 req/s) with rapid response times, allowing you to process your customer databases swiftly.
Pricing: FullContact offers you a 14-day free trial where you need to install the Acumen Visitor Identification webtag on your website. After the demo and trial, you have to get in touch with them to set up a pricing plan for your organization.
The Final Word
Data enrichment tools offer a wealth of features that ensure the survival and growth of your business. You can research prospective customers and retain the existing consumer base through updating, analyzing, and visualizing large datasets with the right set of tools.
Most of the data enrichment platforms keep up with security and privacy compliances. They strive to provide verified data attributes and extensive integration capabilities with several other tools. Their commitment to data accuracy, which is critical for data analysis and decision-making, ensures that you can rely on the databases they provide.
Propel your data management strategies by creating a pipeline between your chosen data enrichment tool and data warehouse. Improve the quality of your data and make data-driven decisions faster by configuring the source and destination in two steps with Airbyte. Sign up today!
What should you do next?
Hope you enjoyed the reading. Here are the 3 ways we can help you in your data journey:
What is ETL?
ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) is a process used to extract data from one or more data sources, transform the data to fit a desired format or structure, and then load the transformed data into a target database or data warehouse. ETL is typically used for batch processing and is most commonly associated with traditional data warehouses.
What is ELT?
More recently, ETL has been replaced by ELT (Extract, Load, Transform). ELT Tool is a variation of ETL one that automatically pulls data from even more heterogeneous data sources, loads that data into the target data repository - databases, data warehouses or data lakes - and then performs data transformations at the destination level. ELT provides significant benefits over ETL, such as:
- Faster processing times and loading speed
- Better scalability at a lower cost
- Support of more data sources (including Cloud apps), and of unstructured data
- Ability to have no-code data pipelines
- More flexibility and autonomy for data analysts with lower maintenance
- Better data integrity and reliability, easier identification of data inconsistencies
- Support of many more automations, including automatic schema change migration
Here is our recommendation for the criteria to consider:
- Connector need coverage: does the ETL tool extract data from all the multiple systems you need, should it be any cloud app or Rest API, relational databases or noSQL databases, csv files, etc.? Does it support the destinations you need to export data to - data warehouses, databases, or data lakes?
- Connector extensibility: for all those connectors, are you able to edit them easily in order to add a potentially missing endpoint, or to fix an issue on it if needed?
- Ability to build new connectors: all data integration solutions support a limited number of data sources.
- Support of change data capture: this is especially important for your databases.
- Data integration features and automations: including schema change migration, re-syncing of historical data when needed, scheduling feature
- Efficiency: how easy is the user interface (including graphical interface, API, and CLI if you need them)?
- Integration with the stack: do they integrate well with the other tools you might need - dbt, Airflow, Dagster, Prefect, etc. - ?
- Data transformation: Do they enable to easily transform data, and even support complex data transformations? Possibly through an integration with dbt
- Level of support and high availability: how responsive and helpful the support is, what are the average % successful syncs for the connectors you need. The whole point of using ETL solutions is to give back time to your data team.
- Data reliability and scalability: do they have recognizable brands using them? It also shows how scalable and reliable they might be for high-volume data replication.
- Security and trust: there is nothing worse than a data leak for your company, the fine can be astronomical, but the trust broken with your customers can even have more impact. So checking the level of certification (SOC2, ISO) of the tools is paramount. You might want to expand to Europe, so you would need them to be GDPR-compliant too.
Airbyte is the leading open-source ELT platform, created in July 2020. Airbyte offers the largest catalog of data connectors—350 and growing—and has 40,000 data engineers using it to transfer data, syncing several PBs per month, as of June 2023. Major users include brands such as Siemens, Calendly, Angellist, and more. Airbyte integrates with dbt for its data transformation, and Airflow/Prefect/Dagster for orchestration. It is also known for its easy-to-use user interface, and has an API and Terraform Provider available.
What's unique about Airbyte?
Their ambition is to commoditize data integration by addressing the long tail of connectors through their growing contributor community. All Airbyte connectors are open-source which makes them very easy to edit. Airbyte also provides a Connector Development Kit to build new connectors from scratch in less than 30 minutes, and a no-code connector builder UI that lets you build one in less than 10 minutes without help from any technical person or any local development environment required..
Airbyte also provides stream-level control and visibility. If a sync fails because of a stream, you can relaunch that stream only. This gives you great visibility and control over your data.
Data professionals can either deploy and self-host Airbyte Open Source, or leverage the cloud-hosted solution Airbyte Cloud where the new pricing model distinguishes databases from APIs and files. Airbyte offers a 99% SLA on Generally Available data pipelines tools, and a 99.9% SLA on the platform.
Fivetran is a closed-source, managed ELT service that was created in 2012. Fivetran has about 300 data connectors and over 5,000 customers.
Fivetran offers some ability to edit current connectors and create new ones with Fivetran Functions, but doesn't offer as much flexibility as an open-source tool would.
What's unique about Fivetran?
Being the first ELT solution in the market, they are considered a proven and reliable choice. However, Fivetran charges on monthly active rows (in other words, the number of rows that have been edited or added in a given month), and are often considered very expensive.
Here are more critical insights on the key differentiations between Airbyte and Fivetran
3. Stitch Data
Stitch is a cloud-based platform for ETL that was initially built on top of the open-source ETL tool Singer.io. More than 3,000 companies use it.
Stitch was acquired by Talend, which was acquired by the private equity firm Thoma Bravo, and then by Qlik. These successive acquisitions decreased market interest in the Singer.io open-source community, making most of their open-source data connectors obsolete. Only their top 30 connectors continue to be maintained by the open-source community.
What's unique about Stitch?
Given the lack of quality and reliability in their connectors, and poor support, Stitch has adopted a low-cost approach.
Other potential services
Matillion is a self-hosted ELT solution, created in 2011. It supports about 100 connectors and provides all extract, load and transform features. Matillion is used by 500+ companies across 40 countries.
What's unique about Matillion?
Being self-hosted means that Matillion ensures your data doesn’t leave your infrastructure and stays on premise. However, you might have to pay for several Matillion instances if you’re multi-cloud. Also, Matillion has verticalized its offer from offering all ELT and more. So Matillion doesn't integrate with other tools such as dbt, Airflow, and more.
Here are more insights on the differentiations between Airbyte and Matillion.
Apache Airflow is an open-source workflow management tool. Airflow is not an ETL solution but you can use Airflow operators for data integration jobs. Airflow started in 2014 at Airbnb as a solution to manage the company's workflows. Airflow allows you to author, schedule and monitor workflows as DAG (directed acyclic graphs) written in Python.
What's unique about Airflow?
Airflow requires you to build data pipelines on top of its orchestration tool. You can leverage Airbyte for the data pipelines and orchestrate them with Airflow, significantly lowering the burden on your data engineering team.
Here are more insights on the differentiations between Airbyte and Airflow.
Talend is a data integration platform that offers a comprehensive solution for data integration, data management, data quality, and data governance.
What’s unique with Talend?
What sets Talend apart is its open-source architecture with Talend Open Studio, which allows for easy customization and integration with other systems and platforms. However, Talend is not an easy solution to implement and requires a lot of hand-holding, as it is an Enterprise product. Talend doesn't offer any self-serve option.
Pentaho is an ETL and business analytics software that offers a comprehensive platform for data integration, data mining, and business intelligence. It offers ETL, and not ELT and its benefits.
What is unique about Pentaho?
What sets Pentaho data integration apart is its original open-source architecture, which allows for easy customization and integration with other systems and platforms. Additionally, Pentaho provides advanced data analytics and reporting tools, including machine learning and predictive analytics capabilities, to help businesses gain insights and make data-driven decisions.
However, Pentaho is also an Enterprise product, so hard to implement without any self-serve option.
Informatica PowerCenter is an ETL tool that supported data profiling, in addition to data cleansing and data transformation processes. It was also implemented in their customers' infrastructure, and is also an Enterprise product, so hard to implement without any self-serve option.
Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
MS SQL Server Integration Services is the Microsoft alternative from within their Microsoft infrastructure. It offers ETL, and not ELT and its benefits.
Singer is also worth mentioning as the first open-source JSON-based ETL framework. It was introduced in 2017 by Stitch (which was acquired by Talend in 2018) as a way to offer extendibility to the connectors they had pre-built. Talend has unfortunately stopped investing in Singer’s community and providing maintenance for the Singer’s taps and targets, which are increasingly outdated, as mentioned above.
Rivery is another cloud-based ELT solution. Founded in 2018, it presents a verticalized solution by providing built-in data transformation, orchestration and activation capabilities. Rivery offers 150+ connectors, so a lot less than Airbyte. Its pricing approach is usage-based with Rivery pricing unit that are a proxy for platform usage. The pricing unit depends on the connectors you sync from, which makes it hard to estimate.
HevoData is another cloud-based ELT solution. Even if it was founded in 2017, it only supports 150 integrations, so a lot less than Airbyte. HevoData provides built-in data transformation capabilities, allowing users to apply transformations, mappings, and enrichments to the data before it reaches the destination. Hevo also provides data activation capabilities by syncing data back to the APIs.
Meltano is an open-source orchestrator dedicated to data integration, spined off from Gitlab on top of Singer’s taps and targets. Since 2019, they have been iterating on several approaches. Meltano distinguishes itself with its focus on DataOps and the CLI interface. They offer a SDK to build connectors, but it requires engineering skills and more time to build than Airbyte’s CDK. Meltano doesn’t invest in maintaining the connectors and leave it to the Singer community, and thus doesn’t provide support package with any SLA.
Once you've set up both the source and destination, you need to configure the connection. This includes selecting the data you want to extract - streams and columns, all are selected by default -, the sync frequency, where in the destination you want that data to be loaded, among other options.
What should you do next?
Hope you enjoyed the reading. Here are the 3 ways we can help you in your data journey: